A wire stripper is an important tool to have in any handyman or electrician’s tool bag or tool box. It is used to remove the protective coating of a wire in order for you to repair or replace it.
With the wide range of wire strippers available in the market today, it can be difficult to choose the perfect one. To ease the burden of shopping for a wire stripper, we have reviewed 3 of the best wire strippers available today.
IRWIN VISE-GRIP 2078300 Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper
The IRWIN VISE-GRIP 2078300 Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper is really one of the best out there. It is from the company Irwin and they have been manufacturing professional-grade tools since 1885. To know more about his wire stripper, here is a list of its features:
- Self-adjusting mechanism allows you to strip wire from 10 – 24 AWG and can also strip gauges smaller than 20 AWG with the swivel knob
- It has a built-in adjustable stopper that allows you to control the length of the core strip
- Its crimping capabilities are 7 – 9 mm ignition terminals, 10 – 22 AWG insulated, and 10 – 22 AWG for non-insulated
- Comes with ProTouch grips that provides extra comfort and can help reduce hand fatigue
- Weighs 10.4 oz. and its dimensions are 2 in. x 4 in. x 11 in.
- Comes with a lifetime warrantee
This wire stripper definitely is a bang for buck. It has great features that any handyman can benefit from. Here is a list of its positive qualities:
- You will feel that this wire stripper is really of high quality
- It is comfortable and easy to use
- Very affordable for its function and quality
- Allows you to use on different sizes of wires
- Saves you a lot of time and effort when stripping, cutting, and crimping wires
- Its automatic feature is very convenient
- Saves you some space in your tool box since it can be used as a wire cutter and crimper
As great as this wire stripper is, there are still things that it can improve on. Here are some of its not-so-great attributes:
- The cut of this wire stripper can sometimes be inconsistent
- It may take a few tries to do
- It is a little heavy
Eclipse Tools CP-301G Pro’sKit Precision Wire Stripper
Second on the list is from the company Eclipse. They provide world-class products that ranges from garden tools, hand tools, optical measuring tools, and even filtration systems. To know more about the CP-301G Wire Stripper, below is a list of its features:
- Allows you to strip wires from 30 – 20 AWG
- It has a safety lock design
- Intended for precision and electrical field
- Processed by computer numerical control or CNC lathe for accuracy on notches
- Its dimensions are 7.8 in. x 2.9 in. x 0.6 in.
The Eclipse Tools CP-301G Pro’sKit Precision Wire Stripper is a must-have in anyone’s tool bag or tool box. Here are some of its qualities that you would make you want to own one yourself:
- Works well with small or thin wires
- Maintains its sharpness
- It has a very comfortable grip that you can use for prolonged periods of time
- It is very cheap yet effective
- Does not damage the copper
- It is easy to use even continuously
The Eclipse Tools CP-301G Pro’sKit Precision Wire Stripper is a great tool. However, like in any other product, it has a few things that are considered not that great. Here are some qualities it can still improve on:
- Its range of wires you can strip is too small
- Its sharpness can cut the wires
- The spring tends to come off
Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper
Last on the list is this multi-functional wire stripper from Neiko Tools. Neiko is an American brand and they are one of the leading manufacturers of tools. Their products ranges from power tools, hydraulic tools, drill bit sets, professional tile saws, generators, and even automotive tools and supplies.
To know more about the Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper, below is a list of its features:
- It has a self-adjusting mechanism and lets you strip wires from 10 – 24 AWG and cut wires from 10 – 24 AWG
- Its crimping capabilities are 7 – 8 mm for auto ignited terminals, 10 – 22 for AWG insulated, and 4 – 22 for AWG non-insulated
- Its cutting blades are heat treated and has spring loaded machine jaws
- It has a micro-adjustment thumb wheel that you can use for smaller wire gauges
- It comes with a color coded guide you can use for crimping insulated wires
- Its dimensions are 10 in. x 1 in. x 4 in. and weighs 12.8 oz.
The Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper definitely is a great tool to have. It has a great number of qualities anyone would want in a wire stripper and more. Here is a list of its pros:
- It is very versatile since you can use it for stripping, cutting, and crimping
- Suitable for heavy-duty use
- Affordable despite of its quality
- Its range is very high
- it can strip multiple wires at once
- Allows you strip wires easily without cutting them
- Durable and will last for years
Although this tool is great, it still has a few not-so-great qualities. Below is a list of its cons:
- It is a lot heavier than most wire strippers
- It may take a bit of time to get used to
- Not the best to use on big wires
Out of the three wire strippers listed above, what really takes the cake is the Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper. It is multi-functional and the range of wires you can strip, cut, and crimp is high. It is also very inexpensive despite its quality, durability, and function.
It is also very easy and comfortable to use. So if you are looking for the next addition to your tool bag, do not hesitate to check all of the three wire strippers we reviewed.