A whetstone or water stone is a fine-grained stone we use to sharpen cutting tools. But do we need this in our homes? If you ask those who are in charge in the kitchen, they will agree that having a whetstone handy is essential.
If you want to check which whetstone is the best in the market, we will help you out by looking at three different brands of whetstones. We will assist you in determining which of the three best sharpening stones will suit your needs.
Best Sharpening Stone Reviews
1. Sharp Pebble Whetstone
The Sharp Pebble Company is the brainchild of an ordinary woman who loves to cook and prepare dishes for her family and friends. The only time she gets frustrated is when her kitchen knives don’t work as they should. Having to work with dull knives in her kitchen led her to create this company.
Sharp Pebble is known for providing one of the best kitchen utensils in the market at an affordable price. One of their products is this two-side-grit whetstone.
This all-around and durable water stone can sharpen all kinds of blades: kitchen knife, pocket knife, hunting knife, razor, chisel, or even an ax because of the following:
- Dual grit: This whetstone comes in two different sharpening grits, namely 1000 and 6000. Use the lower range to sharpen dull knives while the higher range for refining the knife’s edges.
- Base: It also comes with a non-slip bamboo base with silicone which will not only hold the stone in place while you hone your knives but will also look good on your countertop.
- Inclusions: Also included in the purchase is an angle guide, so you have the correct angle for the knife while you apply pressure for a more effortless sharpening experience. An instruction manual and an eBook with lots of tips and tricks will also come in handy for everybody.
- User-friendly design: The Sharp Pebble Whetstone is easy to assemble and safe to use. All you need is water while honing your blades and then rinse it with clean water after use. It comes in blue and white color, weighs 2.12 pounds, and measures 7.2×2.2×1 inches.
- Useful angle guide
- Easy and safe to use
- Can sharpen dull knives
- Sturdy base
- Not the standard size for whetstones
- The 6,000 grit is too soft and wears away quickly
2. BearMoo Premium Whetstone
BearMoo is a brand under a Chinese company that provides products for your homes like bottle openers, coffeepots, and bottle gourds. It also offers beauty products like cosmetic brushes and electric hair combs, among others.
The wide range of products they offer have one thing in common, and that is the aim to offer quality and practicality to their consumers.
The BearMoo Premium Whetstone can sharpen almost all kinds of blades such as kitchen knife, shears, and chef knife. It is not suitable for honing a ceramic knife and serrated edges. With that in mind, here are the things this product can offer:
- Double-Sided: This BearMoo whetstone comes in two grit ranges, namely 3,000 and 8,000. One is for sharpening while the other is for refining your blades.
- High-grade materials: The BearMoo Premium Whetstone is a sharpening tool made from premium white corundum with well-formed edges, making it resistant to heat and corrosion. This whetstone also features a non-slip silicone base which ensures it stays in place while you are using it.
- Inclusions: When you purchase the BearMoo Premium Whetstone, you’ll receive a user guide as well as a one-month guarantee. Thus, if for whatever reason, you encounter an issue with the product within 30 days of purchase, you can request for a full refund.
- Well made
- Sharpens knives well
- Risk-free purchase
- The 8,000 grit does not provide a polished finish.
- Not suitable for ceramic tools and serrated blades
3. Tacklife Knife Sharpening Stone
Founded in 2015 by 10 passionate people, the Tacklife Company aims to offer quality products at an affordable price. They sell different kinds of products online, such as cleaning equipment, garden tools, and power tools. This sharpening stone is one of their most popular kitchen products.
Upon unboxing, the things you would expect from the Tacklife Knife Sharpening Stone include:
- Two-in-one design: Similar to the first two products, this grinding stone comes in two different grits, which are 1,000 and 6,000. The lower range is for coarse honing while the higher range is for fine sharpening.
- Base: The Tacklife Knife Sharpening Stone features a bamboo base with an additional rubber pad, so it can hold the stone firmly while you sharpen the knives and avoid the bottom from sliding off the counter.
- Inclusions: This tool comes with an angle guide which you need to attach to the blade so that you hone the right edge of the knife. Also included in the bundle are an instruction manual and an eBook to assist you on how to use your grinding stone properly.
- Usage: This grinding stone can sharpen almost all kinds of blades except ceramic tools and serrated blades. This product does not need any special oils or lubricant to work. All you need is plain water, and you can hone your dull knives to perfection.
- Construction: This item is made of premium white corundum and was tried and tested for a perfect sharpening experience. This blue-and-white water stone weighs about 1.95 pounds and measures 7×2.3×1.1 inches.
- Easy to clean and use
- One year warranty
- Sharpens knives well
- Fixed angle guide
- Not suitable for serrated blades and ceramic knife
Now that we have checked three different water stone brands, it’s time for us to choose which of those three is our top choice. All three brands can be used for different kinds of cutting tools. Each of their lower range grit works fine, but the higher range grits have issues except for the one from Tacklife.
With that said, among the three best sharpening stones we have reviewed, we can say that the Tacklife Sharpening Stone is the top choice as an all-around and efficient sharpening stone for your home kitchen.